ON THE JOB: Horsham fire crews work to stop house fire in mcLachlan Street, Horsham, yesterday afternoon. The fire started when a pan of oil on the kitchen stove was forgotten. Picture: PAUL CARRACHERA FORGOTTEN pan of oil on the stove resulted in a house fire in McLachlan Street, Horsham, yesterday afternoon.
Nanjing Night Net

Home owner Paul Glaubitz said he put the pan on the stove and went out to his garage to do a quick job, but became distracted.

He said when he eventually returned inside, his kitchen was on fire.

“I saw flames shooting towards the kitchen fans,” he said.

Mr Glaubitz, who lives in the house with his wife Pat, said his first reaction was panic.

“I turned the power off,” he said. “I was going to try to put it out with a blanket but then I had to leave it. It’s one of those stupid things. I’ve never done something like that in my life.”

Horsham Fire Brigade and police attended the fire after a neighbour noticed smoke.

Sergeant Julie O’Brien said police were driving past and also saw the smoke.

She said the fire had spread through the roof.

Sgt O’Brien said Mr Glaubitz did the right thing by leaving the house.

“It’s a whole roof and kitchen damaged, plus smoke damage,” she said.

Horsham Fire Brigade group officer John Davies said the brigade got the call out at 4.22pm.

He said he expected to keep working on it until about 5.30pm yesterday.

Mr Davies said one crew worked on the ground, while a second crew climbed on the roof to try to access the fire through the iron roof.

He said skylights in the house had melted from the heat.

Mr Glaubitz thanked police, fire crews and his neighbours for their help.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Categories: 南京夜网久久